Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Scrap Wood Outdoor Bench Seat | DIY garden bench plans

Add a little extra seating with this simple outdoor bench made from scrap 2x4s and deck boards. I built it in one night using nothing but leftover lumber from my DIY floating deck build.

diy scrap wood outdoor bench seat - garden bench plans - deck boards and scrap 2x4s

Since I whipped this thing together as one of my hair-brained ideas at 9PM (please tell me I’m not the only one who does that???), I didn’t take a single picture while I built. So there aren’t any assembly photos. I DO, however, have some awesome gifs K helped me whip up to let you see it in action.

Leg assembly:

outdoor bench seat - leg assembly

Then bring it all together:

outdoor bench seat assembly - legs and seat

And when you see those gifs, you might already know what that means: there are printable build plans, too! Click below to download them. Woodworking plans are available for FREE to all of my email subscribers (and same goes for my cross stitch patterns). So it’s really simple: if you already subscribe, you can just enter your name & email address for access on the library page (it should pass you right through; I just tested it again today to make sure it works). If not, you can sign up and have access to these plans and all the other free plans I publish.

click here to access the woodworking plans library

How to build this outdoor bench seat / garden bench from scrap wood:

What you’ll need:

Here’s how to build it:

1. Cut deck boards to length – 25 1/2″ each. These will serve as the bench seat.

2. Cut 2×4 boards to length. These will serve as the tops and middle sections of each leg, respectively.

  • 8 boards – 13 1/4″ long
  • 4 boards – 11 1/2″ long

3. Use 2 of the 11 1/2″ boards to form the top and bottom of one leg. Sandwich 2 of the 13 1/4″ boards in between these two to form a box. Screw the 4 pieces together using exterior screws (I like GRX for this because it’s self-tapping and sinks into the wood, so no pre-drilling and it won’t stick out when people sit down).

4. Insert 2 more of the 13 1/4″ boards in the middle of the box-leg structure you created in step 3, spacing them equally. Screw together. I used another scrap 2×4 as a temporary spacer to wedge in between each board as I screwed them in.

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 to make the second bench leg.

6. Fasten the two deck boards on top, keeping each board flush with the end of each leg. This will create a small gap in the middle of the seat between boards.

7. Finish however you like (stain or exterior paint).

Enjoy!

Short & sweet posts aren’t exactly my M.O., but what can I say? I like storytelling. However, I had JUST enough energy to save these pieces from the burn pile, and I’m glad I did. This scrap wood bench has already come in handy on the new deck, so it’s kind of nice to have a quick and easy idea ready to share. I’m hoping to build a couple more as a set once the pub shed is finished and I have more scraps. Not too bad for about twenty minutes!

Don’t forget to pin it!

diy scrap wood outdoor bench seat

The post Scrap Wood Outdoor Bench Seat | DIY garden bench plans appeared first on Ugly Duckling House.

More Where That Came From

DIY Wooden Couch Sleeve
DIY Scrap Wood Magnetic Bottle Opener
How to Build a Concrete Form for an Outdoor Pad
My 15-Minute DIY Coffee Table
Via Home http://www.rssmix.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment